© Lorem ipsum dolor sit Nulla in mollit pariatur in, est ut dolor eu eiusmod lorem 2013
Also   in   Edinburgh   at   this   time   was   Father   (who   was   to   be   later, Bishop)   Gillis,   who   had   very   strong   links   with   the   French   Royal family.      It   could   be   thought   that   introductions   were   made,   since Father     Lovi,     while     in     Paris,     approached     Charles     X     for     a contribution   to   his   proposed   new   church.      Charles   gave   money, and    commissioned    François    Dubois,    a    very    successful,    well- known   painter,   to   provide   an   altar-piece.      The   subject   of   the painting   was   to   be   “The   Incredulity   of   Saint   Thomas”   and   it   was painted around 1828. Unfortunately,   this   occurred   at   the   same   time   as   Charles   X   being disposed   in   1830.      The   painting   was   then   “lost”.      Despite   the efforts   of   the   British   Ambassador   in   Paris   to   find   the   painting,   it remained    undiscovered.        Charles    X    had    been    exiled    and    he returned to Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh.  Undeterred, Father   Lovi   travelled   to   Paris,   where   just   after   Chritmas   1830   he   traced   the   painting   to   The   Louvre,   and   he returned   with   it   to   Keith   before   the   opening   of   his   new   church.   The   back   of   the   painting   still   bears   what   is thought   to   be   Charles’   monogram,   firmly   stamped   on   the   reverse   of   the   canvas,   while   on   the   front   there   is a   brass   plate,   bearing   the   inscription,   "Carolus   X,   Rex   Gallorum   Christainissimus   dona   dedit   AD   1828" ("Charles X, most Christian King of France, gave this, AD 1828").
History of St Thomas Church - Part Two
"The Incredulity of Saint Thomas" by François Dubois, around 1828.
Address: Chapel Street Keith Moray AB55 5AL SCOTLAND    Dean: Fr Colin Stewart (01343) 542280     or   (01807) 580795 Priests in residence in Huntly: Fr Kingsley Chigbo CCE (01466) 410200 Fr Peter Ezekoka e-mail: chapelstthomas@yahoo.co.uk A parish of the R.C. Diocese of Aberdeen Charitable Trust, Registered Charity Number SC 005122
St Thomas' Keith adheres to the Privacy Policies as set by the RC Diocese of Aberdeen.
© Lorem ipsum dolor sit Nulla in mollit pariatur in, est ut dolor eu eiusmod lorem 2013

      History of

St. Thomas Church                    Part Two     
Also   in   Edinburgh   at   this   time   was   Father   (who   was   to   be   later, Bishop)   Gillis,   who   had   very   strong   links   with   the   French   Royal family.        It    could    be    thought    that    introductions    were    made, since   Father   Lovi,   while   in   Paris,   approached   Charles   X   for   a contribution   to   his   proposed   new   church.      Charles   gave   money, and    commissioned    François    Dubois,    a    very    successful,    well- known   painter,   to   provide   an   altar-piece.      The   subject   of   the painting   was   to   be   “The   Incredulity   of   Saint   Thomas”   and   it   was painted around 1828. Unfortunately,   this   occurred   at   the   same   time   as   Charles   X being   disposed   in   1830.      The   painting   was   then   “lost”.      Despite the    efforts    of    the    British    Ambassador    in    Paris    to    find    the painting,   it   remained   undiscovered.      Charles   X   had   been   exiled and he returned to Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh.  Undeterred, Father   Lovi   travelled   to   Paris,   where   just   after   Chritmas   1830 he   traced   the   painting   to   The   Louvre,   and   he   returned   with   it to   Keith   before   the   opening   of   his   new   church.   The   back   of   the painting   still   bears   what   is   thought   to   be   Charles’   monogram, firmly   stamped   on   the   reverse   of   the   canvas,   while   on   the   front there   is   a   brass   plate,   bearing   the   inscription,   "Carolus   X,   Rex Gallorum    Christainissimus    dona    dedit    AD    1828"    ("Charles    X, most Christian King of France, gave this, AD 1828").
"The Incredulity of Saint Thomas" by François Dubois, around 1828.