© Lorem ipsum dolor sit Nulla in mollit pariatur in, est ut dolor eu eiusmod lorem 2013
Work   on   this   project   started   in   1915.   Handsome   oak   pews   were   added,   as were   an   altar,   communion   rails   and   pulpit,   all   in   Caen   stone,   and   a   niche was    custom    built    to    hold    the    altar-piece    painting.    Following    this,    the interior   of   the   dome   was   decorated   with   a   sunburst   and   stars   in   gold,   and the   whole   building   was   illuminated   by   gas   lighting.   Electric   lighting   was installed   in   1939   with   the   generous   help   of   a   relative   of   James   Gordon Bennet,   the   founder   of   "The   New   York   Herald".   He   had   been   born,   and   had lived in Newmill, near Keith, before emigrating to America. A    local    man,    Charles    Ogilvie    of    Earlsmount,    Keith,    gave    £200    for    the erection   of   two   side   altars,   one   in   memory   of   his   late   wife,   the   other   in memory   of   his   kinsman,   the   Scottish   martyr   Father   John   Ogilvie,   born   near Keith   in   1580,   and   at   the   time   styled   "Venerable"   by   the   church.   However,   in keeping   with   the   devotion   of   that   time,   one   altar   was   dedicated   to   Our Lady   of   Lourdes,   and   the   other   to   The   Sacred   Heart.   They   were   completed shortly   after   the   official   re-opening   of   the   church   by   the   then   Bishop   of Aberdeen, the Right Reverend Aeneas Chisholm, on September 13, 1916.
History of St Thomas Church - Part Three
Interior of dome, with altars of The Sacred Heart and Our Lady of Lourdes.
Address: Chapel Street Keith Moray AB55 5AL SCOTLAND    Dean: Fr Colin Stewart (01343) 542280     or   (01807) 580795 Priests in residence in Huntly: Fr Kingsley Chigbo CCE (01466) 410200 Fr Peter Ezekoka e-mail: chapelstthomas@yahoo.co.uk A parish of the R.C. Diocese of Aberdeen Charitable Trust, Registered Charity Number SC 005122
St Thomas' Keith adheres to the Privacy Policies as set by the RC Diocese of Aberdeen.
© Lorem ipsum dolor sit Nulla in mollit pariatur in, est ut dolor eu eiusmod lorem 2013

      History of

St. Thomas Church                   Part Three     
Work   on   this   project   started   in   1915.   Handsome   oak   pews   were added,   as   were   an   altar,   communion   rails   and   pulpit,   all   in   Caen stone,    and    a    niche    was    custom    built    to    hold    the    altar-piece painting.   Following   this,   the   interior   of   the   dome   was   decorated with   a   sunburst   and   stars   in   gold,   and   the   whole   building   was illuminated    by    gas    lighting.    Electric    lighting    was    installed    in 1939    with    the    generous    help    of    a    relative    of    James    Gordon Bennet,   the   founder   of   "The   New   York   Herald".   He   had   been born,   and   had   lived   in   Newmill,   near   Keith,   before   emigrating   to America. A   local   man,   Charles   Ogilvie   of   Earlsmount,   Keith,   gave   £200   for the   erection   of   two   side   altars,   one   in   memory   of   his   late   wife, the   other   in   memory   of   his   kinsman,   the   Scottish   martyr   Father John   Ogilvie,   born   near   Keith   in   1580,   and   at   the   time   styled "Venerable"    by    the    church.    However,    in    keeping    with    the devotion   of   that   time,   one   altar   was   dedicated   to   Our   Lady   of Lourdes,    and    the    other    to    The    Sacred    Heart.    They    were completed   shortly   after   the   official   re-opening   of   the   church   by the    then    Bishop    of    Aberdeen,    the    Right    Reverend    Aeneas Chisholm, on September 13, 1916.
Interior of dome, with altars of The Sacred Heart and Our Lady of Lourdes.